It's going to take a while folks, but I'm determined to sift my way through the A-Z of Albums that have touched me or moved me in such a way that they deserve mention. There will be stuff in here from the 50's through to the present day since my musical tastes know no boundaries. Any fascism I once had regarding music has gone and left me. I hope that if you have time to spare in your busy lives to read this blog, you may one day be inspired to pick these records up and, like myself, become enlightened by the power of music.

Monday 1 March 2010

Quicksilver Music - Market St, Southport!


Quicksilver Music is a relatively new music shop in Market St, Southport, ran by local musician Dave Thornley. This is my attempt at a plug since I am a muso and love the place - go and pay it a visit!!! The fact of the matter is that, in modern times, there is very little left for the genuine record collector. Downloading has murdered the industry. Five years ago in this town there were half a dozen music shops to peruse, whereas now only HMV has survived. It is a tragedy in my eyes, so imagine my joy when I stumbled upon Quicksilver Music - a record collector's paradise.
Dave is a very friendly and enthusiastic guy who obviously pays great attention to his customers and their tastes in music. It hasn't taken long for him to assess the trends of my spending and start recommending records from artists he thinks I may like - a skill in which he has yet to fail. There is a wealth of rare and classic records to choose from at very cheap prices, covering the entire spectrum: Classic Rock and Pop, Blues, Jazz, Funk, Country, Soul, Alternative, and Indie. Plus, there is a constant shift in stock, meaning that just because you may have wandered in the day before doesn't mean its not worth another visit the day after! If it is CD's, Vinyl, Boxsets, 45's, DVD's, T-Shirts, wall-art, or books you are interested in, or in fact musical equipment itself (Dave has a range of superb second-hand guitars and amps for sale) then you really should head in to take a look.
Quicksilver has been responsible for many of my recent musical discoveries: JJ Cale, Spirit, Miles Davis, Al Stewart, Otis Spann, Soft Machine, Jackson Browne, Jim Croche, MC5, Sandy Denny, Buffalo Springfield - the list could go on and on! Everytime I walk in I leave with something new and exciting to get my musical molars into. It's inspired! I really hope you get chance to pay Quicksilver Music a visit - these independent record stores can only survive if they are supported by the music loving community!!!

No comments: