It's going to take a while folks, but I'm determined to sift my way through the A-Z of Albums that have touched me or moved me in such a way that they deserve mention. There will be stuff in here from the 50's through to the present day since my musical tastes know no boundaries. Any fascism I once had regarding music has gone and left me. I hope that if you have time to spare in your busy lives to read this blog, you may one day be inspired to pick these records up and, like myself, become enlightened by the power of music.

Thursday 11 March 2010

Joni Mitchell Blue - Heartbreakingly Beautiful


I have to be honest - I have no recollection of getting this album. I've no idea what inspired me to buy it in the first place. Big Yellow Taxi - Joni's instantly recognisable major hit - is quite frankly one of the worst songs ever. In fact, and this is really going some, in the world of music I can only think of The Manic Street Preachers and Mika that I despise more than that song. Oh, and maybe Elton John (the man, not the music). Even the Counting Crows re-hash makes me nauseous. All of this considered, I am unable to understand why I would ever go out and pick this album up. Maybe because it has always been billed as a classic. Maybe because I looked at the sleeve and saw that Big Yellow Taxi wasn't on it. Maybe I'd hit my head and forgotten who I liked and who I didn't. I can't remember. I'm just glad that I ended up with Blue, one of the most beautiful records that I, or you, are ever likely to hear.



Joni Mitchell was relatively well-known for 'getting around' amongst a circle of male stars back in the day. I'll never forget the laugh that James Taylor got when I saw him back in Manchester a few years ago when, pointing to a picture of Joni and him on the big screen, he said: "and that's Joni - my bitch! In fact, I think she was everybody's bitch." Blue is seemingly a rather troubled-in-love lady pouring her heart out through the medium of song - probably as a result of so many failed relationships with these stars - and it is nothing short of stunning. The opening line of the album, at the start of All I Want, sets the scene: "I am on a lonely road and I am travelling/Looking for something, what can it be/Oh I hate you some, I hate you some." Mitchell's voice is angelic at worst; she hits some notes that are off the scale, accompanied by her exceptional guitar work and subtle piano playing. Lyrically she is brilliant; sometimes brutal, often unwavering in her honesty, but always moving. "I could drink a case of you". Magic. Haven't we all felt that way about somebody before? Absolutely.

I don't want to do a breakdown song by song with Blue. There is something about listening to it as a complete record that is so very special; a sentimental journey from start to finish. I do have to mention River though - a haunting piano/vocal so sublime you'd think the angel Gabriel had penned it. Magnificent.

So, if you're on the brink of killing yourself this may not be for you - or, in a strange way, it may be your saviour. It is very deep, heartfelt, beautiful and in a league of its own. Joni's golden hour in her career, and a lasting statement from a wonderful singer/songwriter. If you're into melodies and words then you just have to own it.





2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I shall be in town on Wednesday and buy it I shall! :)

Kate x

P R Mullen said...

Great, let me know what you think!
;-) X