It's going to take a while folks, but I'm determined to sift my way through the A-Z of Albums that have touched me or moved me in such a way that they deserve mention. There will be stuff in here from the 50's through to the present day since my musical tastes know no boundaries. Any fascism I once had regarding music has gone and left me. I hope that if you have time to spare in your busy lives to read this blog, you may one day be inspired to pick these records up and, like myself, become enlightened by the power of music.

Wednesday 17 March 2010

Fleet Foxes (Self-Titled), and the Acoustic, Close-Harmony Revival


What an absolute breath of fresh air! I remember reading an interview in Uncut Magazine with Paul Weller about new bands that he had his eye on, and he talked about how, when he was touring in the U.S, he came across this band, The Fleet Foxes. Several months later, when their name started to crop up all over the place, I began to take even more notice. Before I knew it, myself and all my mates had a copy and were loving every minute of it. Here was a band that was reviving a dying breed; the classic acoustic songwriting tune-smith. They look like hippies, play like hippies, and write like hippies. A brand new band stepping straight out of Woodstock. On first listen this could well have been a Crosby Stills & Nash record. The harmonies stand out as utterly exceptional. The songs are beautifully crafted. The execution, for musicians so young, is outstanding. All in all this debut record is one to savour.



The sound of this record is somewhat pastoral, and yet unequivocally enduring. To hear a record like this is so refreshing since it means the glorious close-harmony sounds of the 60's and 70's (CSN, The Eagles, America et al) are cool again. Gone are the days of Punk, Grunge or Indie as the only outlet for subversive groups of youngsters. This album was actually awarded maximum stars in no less than seven major international publications (The Guardian, The Observer, Rolling Stone Magazine, Allmusic, Entertainment Weekly, Spin, and The Times), and came in the top three albums in the following publications for Best Album of 2008: Mojo (#1), No Ripcord (#1), Under The Radar (#1), Billboard.com (#1), Pitchfork Media (#1), The Times (#1), WERS Boston (#3), Amazon.com (#3), and Q Magazine (#2). Robin Pecknold - the singer/songwriter responsible for these songs - cited the expected influences upon his work after growing up listening to his parents' music collection - The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Neil Young, Crosby Stills & Nash etc. I guess to those musos with my own inclination the record would be sold already. I assure you, it's a very safe bet.

Highlights on the album include the beautiful White Winter Hymnal, which is almost gospel in its delivery. He Doesn't Know Why is a brilliantly crafted, mid-tempo acoustic number, Your Protector is moody but atmospheric, Quiet Houses a jovial, finger-picked jaunt, and Ragged Wood an exercise in sublime close-harmony. Blue Ridge Mountains is, again, reminiscent of gospel standards infused with contemporary acoustic craftsmanship, Oliver James a gorgeous, airy ditty, and Meadowlarks an early Neil Young style, melancholy wandering. The standout track, however, is the fabulous Tiger Mountain Peasant Song, in which Pecknold's extraordinary songwriting ability is most evident: "I don't know what I have done/I'm turning myself into a demon."

I saw this remarkable band support Neil Young in London's Hyde Park last year, and they were as mesmerising live as they are on record. They are a revival band; their sound harks back, but their vision points forward. A terrific debut record - one of the finest of all time. I'm very excited to hear a follow up.


















4 comments:

A.J. said...

Great review! I recently discovered this album via Pitchfork and am fascinated by it as well. I'd love to see them live sometime!

P R Mullen said...

Thanks very much! They are well worth seeing live - probably the best new band around in my opinion!

Anonymous said...

best new band, are you serious, they are no better than the good old jedward boys.

P R Mullen said...

No wonder you've remained anonymous!