It's going to take a while folks, but I'm determined to sift my way through the A-Z of Albums that have touched me or moved me in such a way that they deserve mention. There will be stuff in here from the 50's through to the present day since my musical tastes know no boundaries. Any fascism I once had regarding music has gone and left me. I hope that if you have time to spare in your busy lives to read this blog, you may one day be inspired to pick these records up and, like myself, become enlightened by the power of music.

Thursday 1 April 2010

Meetings Between The Modfather and Me!




Since discovering Paul Weller many years ago (as documented in my review of his classic album Stanley Road) I have followed my hero to the ends of the Earth. Ok, not quite that far, but let's say we've shared a room or two. 2010 celebrates a decade of watching Paul live, and what better way to do it than a date in London's Royal Albert Hall in May. . . . . . .

1) Preston Guild Hall, Preston - 22/4/2000
Ok, so this was a real star-struck occasion for me. On reflection not the best of his gigs simply because the atmosphere was pretty tame, but still a great introduction for me to my hero on the stage.


2) King George's Hall, Blackburn - 30/11/2001
What a birthday present for me! This gig, on my 19th Birthday, and also the day that George Harrison died, was part of Weller's Solo Acoustic Tour. It was magic to see just him and his guitar stripping back his classics to the forms in which they were written. Joined by Steve Craddock.

3) Old Trafford Cricket Ground, Manchester - 12/7/2002
(Support: Ian Brown, Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, Shed Seven)

This was an awesome occasion - part of the Manchester Move Festival, where I also got to see David Bowie, The Cure, REM, and Morrisey. The support acts were great, and Weller absolutely rocked, pulling out all of his classics, plus new stuff from the album Illumination.
4) Empress Ballroom, Blackpool - 2/12/2003
Another brilliant performance by Weller in a brilliant venue. The atmosphere was electric, and he played out of his skin with his classic solo line-up of Steve White, Steve Craddock, Damon Minchella and Chris Holland. A great night.


5) Big Top Arena, Kings Dock, Liverpool - 20/7/2005
(Support: Edgar 'Jones' Jones)
I had barely returned from Australia when I saw this - probably his most outstanding gig to date - in the tent at The Liverpool Summer Pops. I had a stage-side seat, and the roof damn near blew off. This was the first time Weller returned to some of his classic Jam and Style Council material - one memorable moment was when the crowd continued to sing "la, la, la, la," back to a stunned Weller at the end of That's Entertainment.

6) M.E.N Arena, Manchester - 24/11/05
This was more of an introduction for my mates than anything else - a harrowing piss-up in Manchester followed by the gig. It was the first, and LAST time that I'd missed Weller's entrance onto the stage since I was busy at the bar, though it wasn't the best gig I've seen. He's really not an ideal Arena performer, particularly not in the massive M.E.N

7) Apollo Theatre, Manchester - 28/11/2006
Another magic gig in a great venue by Weller. The atmosphere was, again, electric, and he stormed through a faultless hit of career-spanning classics. I even dragged my Mum, Dad, Sister and Brother-in-Law along to see what all the fuss was about, and they loved it!

8) Manchester Versus Cancer, M.E.N Arena, Manchester - 30/3/2007
A little disappointing from my point of view since Weller, the biggest name on the bill, was left with very little time to do his thing. he only managed four songs, although one was a sublime duet with Noel Gallagher on The Jam classic Butterfly Collector. Also a rousing version of John Lennon's Power To The People.

9) Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival 2007 - 23/6/2007
For me, as a Paul Weller fanatic, this performance was absolutely terrific. A power-hour of the great man really giving it some on the Saturday tea-time at Glasto. However, in hindsight I can see that he played a rather selfish set - I knew everything because I'm a geek, but he played a lot of obscure stuff that potential new fans just wouldn't have digged. A shame.

10) Empress Ballroom, Blackpool - 8/5/2008
A thumping return to this brilliant venue by Weller, who charmed a full house once again five years after I'd first seen him here. I took a mini-bus full of young lads to experience The Modfather first hand, and it turned into a severely heavy, but fantastic night of moshing, drinking, crowd-surfing, and general immaturity. A memorable evening. God I need to grow up.

11) Brixton Carling Academy, London - 24/11/2008
It was time I went to see Paul in his own back yard, and considering his popularity these days, Brixton was about as intimate an opportunity as I was going to get. In a similar venue to Manchester's Apollo, Weller marched through a triumphant two and a half hour set of classics, thrilling a sold out, partisan crowd. A tremendous experience for me, the Northern monkey!

12) The O2 Arena, London - 21/3/2009
Something about Weller gracing the biggest live stage in the country for the first time pulled me to London again for this gig. I felt I just had to be there. These places really are just too big for that intimate feel though. It wasn't a bad gig or performance, but not one of the more memorable. At least I was there to see it!

13) The Main Stage, Benacassim festival, Spain - 17/7/2009
A bizarre set of circumstances indeed would prevail here at my first, and LAST, festival abroad. Weller, who came on as the sun set, started with electrifying calibre, only to be cut short 20 minutes into his set by a raging bush fire that was threatening to burn down the stage. Health and safety abroad for you. It would never have happened here. Needless to say he was whisked off the stage, his performance cancelled, and The Kings Of Leon cancelled too! A FUCKING NIGHTMARE!!!

STILL TO COME...........................

14) The Royal Albert Hall, London - 27/5/2010
Can't wait to see this venue, never mind the man himself gracing this notorious stage!

15) Echo Arena, Liverpool - 8/12/2010
Another gig on home turf for me - no doubt an excuse for a damn good day and night!



No comments: